Smith & Wollensky Partner With Clarke: Self Quarantine Beef Stew
At Smith & Wollensky we are all committed to giving back during this time. With that, our team is looking at ways to continue community outreach and work with local partners, like Clarke – New England’s Official Sub-Zero, Wolf & Cove Showroom and Test Kitchen.
Clarke has been a cornerstone of the appliance industry in New England. For 50 years, Clarke has grown to be the nation’s most exemplary distributor with three award-winning showrooms (known as the region’s ultimate kitchen resource centers), a Culinary Center teaching cooking to homeowners throughout New England, a nationally known appliance service company and a network of stellar independent retail dealers.
In a time of crisis we wanted to work with local partners to showcase that we are now, more than ever, committed to working as one team and staying in touch with our guests and customers no matter what. So we thought, who better to partner with to create our favorite Smith & Wollensky dishes during this crisis, in the Clarke Showroom and Test Kitchen and bring them into your homes and kitchens via video! Thank you to the team at Clarke for continued support and assistance! We’ll all get thru this TOGETHER!
See below our latest recipe and video to follow along with Chef Matt at the Clarke Showroom and Test Kitchen, for you to go along with at home, in your own test kitchen.
AN INSIDE LOOK INTO OUR FAVORITE
SELF QUARANTINE BEEF STEW
Follow @ChefMattKing on Instagram to stay up to date with what he is cooking
3 Lbs. Sirloin Tips Diced in 1 Inch Cubes
1 Quart Red Wine
¾ Cup Red Wine Vinegar
3 ea. Medium Sized Carrots Peeled and Chopped
3 ea. Medium Yellow onions Chopped
2 ea. Bouquet Garni (Thyme, Bay Leaf, Parsley, Leek)
- Combine all Ingredients and marinate for 24 Hours.
- Remove the beef and pat dry, save the liquid and bouquet Garni.
For the Stew
3 Tbsp Oil
3 ea. Medium Yellow Onion (Diced)
6 ea. Garlic Cloves Minced
8 oz Tomato Paste
6 ea. Medium Carrots, Diced
2 ea Medium Turnips, Diced
6 ea. Medium Parsnips, Diced
6 ea. Yukon Potatoes, Diced
1 pint Veal Demi Glace
Salt and Pepper to taste
- Sear the meat in the oil using a Dutch oven, browning on all sides.
- Remove the meat and reserve for to add later.
- Do not wash the brown crust (Fond) from the bottom of the pan, sauté the onions until golden brown.
- Add the Garlic and cook for an additional minute, or until fragrant.
- Strain the Remaining contents of the marinade over the onions and garlic, discard the carrots and onions however you want to reserve the bouquet garni.
- Return the beef to the pot, add the demi glace, bouquet garni, bring to a boil and then simmer for one hour.
- Add the tomato paste and the vegetables, bring to a boil and then return to a simmer for another hour.
- Test the beef for tenderness and season to taste with salt and pepper.